Emotional Respect


Just very recently, about an hour ago, I screamed so loud that I have probably startled every girl in my dorm. When I went out of the restroom, I saw in my peripheral vision a very long form of a girl with a long flowing dress up to the ankles and her hair was fashioned like Sadako of some horror movie (I don’t watch those so I don’t know). My immediate reaction of screaming probably freaked the hell out of that girl also and her roommate who was observing the situation because she really meant to scare another girl and not me. I laughed, finding the humor in my sudden shriek, and she hugged me while saying sorry. I found it awkward since we were not close friends and I was embarrassed and I did not like the way it made her feel bad. She opened the door of my room and apologized repeatedly, but I told her it was okay. Because it really was. But I still felt some kind of an awkward feeling and I don’t know where it came from.  You just never know with girls. *wink* 

I find the title of this post to be weird although I intended it to be that way; but what I really mean is the act of respecting other people’s emotions. In this day and age, “emotional suppression” is the trend. Even though you have the right to feel the way that you feel, society says that emotions should not get in the way of work or business – that you’re supposed to be a robot or something like that. This is a big issue for me because I am not really good at suppressing my emotions and feeling stable all the time. When I get angry or offended, I make it known in some way or distance myself from the perpetrators because I just cannot help myself. I know that it creates some kind of a social conflict but it’s very important that we honor our emotions because it says some truth about who we are. And they, especially anger, lets us know if someone has already crossed our boundaries. Lately I have been offended by an authority figure – and as much as I’d like to make myself feel okay, I was really wounded and I am already cautious of not crossing paths with this person again. I say this because despite being able to express or feel, I still feel guilty for being this way because not all people understand. Most people, instead of understanding why you get angry at them or letting you just have your right to be angry, shoots you back with anger and so they’ve added to your official enemy list. And that’s not a very ideal way of living in this world.

It is very important to release our emotions in any way that we can because suppressing energies is an obstacle in the way of health. If possible, laugh all you can because laughter heals. Focus and give more power to the things that make you happy. Cry when you feel sad because the grief ofyour soul needs to be released – even though it takes you weeks or months to overcome the hurt and the pain. Scream. Whether it’s happiness, fear, or anger, as long as you’re not stepping on other people, you can freely express your emotions because you are a human, not a robot. I just do not approve of the way some people release their anger on other people and do not even care if they hurt their feelings. I have an issue on a certain person who seems insensitive to other people’s feelings, probably because the person thinks that he/she is above everyone else. We do not have the right to hurt other people consciously or purposely just because we feel like it. We are interconnected, we are united, so this kind of action seems to be really worthless. Anyway, what I have just told myself is that if someone does not respect my emotions, then this person is not worth my time. Last month I got really angry with my dear girl best friend and I told her that I was angry in the most diplomatic way possible. She understood and felt guilty and thus left me alone for a little while to cool down. And so, I realized that we do not really have to suppress our emotions for the sake of others; because honoring our emotions, be it positive or negative, is the biggest way for us to love ourselves. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.