Loving the Literature Degree


Like almost all the people who took English majors or English or Literature degree, I am now discouraged because of the people around me who doesn't seem to like the course that I am going to take. It's AB Literature. It is what my heart will say when you question it about what it likes to take up in college. For a passionate reader and writer like me, nothing else suits me like AB Literature. It is where I belong, however you look at it. It's my heart's desire, and I know how it will make me happy, however difficult it may seem.

There are some advantages of my course I found on the net:

1. You are taught critical thinking and effective communication.
2. You will develop superior writing skills.
3. By pursuing a literature degree, you signal to employers that you care about more than just money; you chose this major because you have a deep appreciation for what you study.
4. Literature students find careers that require critical thinking, interpersonal skills, and exposure to a wide range of subjects.
5. For years, studying literature has been a great way to prepare to law school.
6. Many industries are seeking employees with terrific writing skills and cultural knowledge.
7. As English is considered an international language, there is a high demand for those who can teach it abroad.
Read more on: http://mqjeffrey.hubpages.com/hub/What_to_do_with_a_Literature_Degree

I feel like an outcast surrounded by accountancy and engineering students. Some people are so proud of the courses that they took or are going to take for they are sure of the big salary that is in store for them. They are constantly encouraged and reminded of the beauty of their degree, while I get silent or subtle mocks from people who are ignorant of a Literature degree. Almost all of them think that I'm going to be a teacher, a profession that is often looked down upon, but who cares? No one has the right to look down upon a noble profession such as this.

Going through this isn't easy. The only person who encourages me to pursue it and not shift to another course is my affectionate uncle, whom they said has me as his favorite niece. I, thus, have no other choice but to remember his encouragements and encourage myself too so much, as if I am equivalent to a multitude. I know myself more than they do, so their opinions would have little influence on me. At least I have a passion for literature. I am a sucker for classic novels. What would I do with those degrees that pay so much? They say that money makes the world go round, but for me, it isn't. It's happiness. Yes. I am not really after money. As long as I enjoy learning, I am satisfied. At least I will earn a degree that a match to my heart's desire, even if it's not making me rich.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.